TEXT AND PHOTOGRAPHS MARIANNE ALEXANDER
- Stick with pure merchandise like handled rooster manure and fish emulsion and apply about as soon as a month.
- Mulch as a lot as and as thickly as doable utilizing wooden chips, bark chips, straw or pine needles. This improves the soil construction and reduces weeding to just about nothing. It additionally retains the roots cool and the soil moist so the vegetation thrive.
- As her soil is a really sandy loam, Tessa makes use of a number of compost. As your backyard turns into extra established, you study what does finest.
- For roses, Tessa prepares the planting holes properly including compost, volcanic mud, gypsum, superphosphate and a slow-release fertiliser (three:1:5).
- In spring, she offers every rose a dose of magnesium sulphate, iron chelate and handled rooster manure or slow-release three:1:5. Each fortnight they’re given a lightweight dressing of rooster manure.
- In spring, she sprays the roses with Chronos, liquid kelp and fish emulsion each 2–three weeks. Chronos prevents black spot which is usually a downside in heat, moist climate. She doesn’t spray as typically in summer time when it’s dry within the Cape, however will increase the regularity once more in autumn when the rains begin.
- Pinch-prune roses in spring to make sure a steady show of flowers all through summer time and autumn. And deadhead them frequently. Take care of downside bugs as quickly as you discover them.
(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)