Earlier at the moment, I got here throughout this lovable video that introduced again so many recollections of breastfeeding my babies. The clip options an toddler gently massaging mama’s breast whereas nursing. Too treasured, proper?
Sigh. I bear in mind when my little ones did this. Lately, although, my breastfeeding toddler prefers waaayy extra awkward methods to cross time on the boob. Like …
1) Nipple twiddling. Each time I’m mendacity down on my facet to feed her, one of my daughter’s arms cups across the boob that she’s latched onto and the opposite hand at all times finds the unused nipple for twiddling.
2) Bizarre acrobatics. That is her favourite pastime every time I’m mendacity on my again. She plops on my stomach, pulls up my shirt, latches on after which proceeds to contort her physique within the oddest methods. Toe touches. Partial rolls. Yoga poses. What the crap, child?
three) Boob slapping. This one doesn’t occur fairly often, however it at all times catches me off guard. She normally does it when letdown is taking too lengthy for her liking. It’s like she’s saying, “Hey, is that this factor working?” and making an attempt to slap it into cooperation.
four) Hair yanking. Earlier than the nipple twiddling behavior started, my daughter was all about grabbing my hair and flailing her arm round. Um, OUCH. Fortunately, this was solely a section. (And carrying a nursing necklace actually helped head this one off, too.)
5) Shirt flapping. Her one hand at all times needs to be doing one thing, doesn’t it? This one is simply an issue for me if she’s doing it in public. As a result of though I’m tremendous with breastfeeding wherever we could also be, I don’t essentially wish to draw extra consideration to myself.
6) Biting. It could be thought of “regular,” however this one is by far my least favourite. After a number of occasions of my pulling again in shock (and ache,) and giving them a agency “no,” all three of my babies obtained the trace.
I reached out to fellow BabyCenter bloggers to see what notable habits their babies had whereas breastfeeding. Right here’s what they needed to say.
7) Unclasping clothes. Becky Vieira: “Archer unlatches the clasp on the alternative facet of my nursing tank. Each time!”
eight) Mole fiddling. Betsy Shaw: “One of my babies used to stroke my facet gently, the opposite fiddled with a mole incessantly to the purpose of driving me mad.”
9) Boob/chest stroking. Joyce Slaton: “Violet used to stroke my chest and breast so sweetly it usually introduced tears to my eyes. Her hand was as comfortable as biscuit dough. I used to suppose of them as tiny stars. Breastfeeding was a candy time for us.”
10) Scratching. Kelly Wilbanks: “Annie digs into my breasts proper now — generally drawing blood.”
11) Nipple nuzzling. Adrienne Hodges: “Earlier than latching, my daughter will nuzzle my nipple together with her nostril and generally whisper to it. They’re friends.”
12) Foot within the face. Sabrina Garibian: “Each of my youngsters beloved to stay their toes in my face whereas nursing. Each one!”
So, new and anticipating mothers be warned: Your babies might develop some fascinating habits whereas on the breast. It’s nothing to fret about. However that doesn’t imply it’s essentially appreciated. (Particularly the biting and hair-pulling!) Click on right here for ideas and tips on dealing with some of the extra painful/irritating behaviors from Kelly Bonyata, an Worldwide Board Licensed Lactation Guide (IBCLC) and the mother behind KellyMom.com.
Photographs by Michelle Stein, Becky Vieira, Kelly Wilbanks; Instagram put up embedded with permission by the infant’s mom, Kaitlyn Victor, and Barbara Demske/firstlatch