A report launched Thursday by Widespread Sense Media reveals some attention-grabbing — and regarding — traits about about display screen time for kids ages Eight and youthful.
The nonprofit group, which focuses on serving to kids, mother and father, and educators thrive in the world of media and know-how, launched a report titled The Widespread Sense Census: Media Use by Kids Age Zero to Eight. For this report, 1,454 mother and father of kids Eight and youthful took half in an internet survey in January and February about how their kids use media. Its findings present that younger kids are spending a median of two hours and 19 minutes per day on display screen media.
“The report truly exhibits that kids’ total media use has stayed about the identical since our 2011 report (2:19 versus 2:16). What’s modified is how they’re utilizing it,” James Steyer, chief govt officer and founding father of Widespread Sense Media, mentioned in an e-mail to CNN. “Mobile is completely taking on — it now makes up 35 % of display screen time, in comparison with 4 % in 2011.”
Listed below are another key stats from the brand new report:
• The period of time Zero- to Eight-year-olds spend on mobile devices every day has tripled. It’s gone from 5 minutes in 2011, to 15 minutes in 2013, to 48 minutes in 2017.
• Practically half (49 %)of kids ages Eight and youthful have display screen time inside an hour earlier than bedtime. This contains watching TV, play video games, utilizing a smartphone and extra, and it goes towards pediatricians’ suggestions.
• Ninety-eight % of kids Eight and beneath stay in households with mobile devices — in comparison with 52 % in 2011 and 75 % in 2013.
• Forty-two % of kids Eight and beneath have their very own pill gadget, in comparison with 1 % in 2011.
• Households with younger kids usually tend to subscribe to a video service like Netflix or Hulu (72 %) than they’re to have cable TV (65 %.)
Together with the discharge of this report, Widespread Sense Media is highlighting easy methods households will help make media a constructive affect in the course of the early years. A part of this effort features a collection of PSAs starring Will Ferrell, which purpose to encourage mother and father and kids to ditch their devices throughout dinnertime. You possibly can watch the primary PSA in the video, under.
It’s not stunning to me that mobile devices are making up more and more bigger percentages of display screen time. Heck, I didn’t actually have a sensible telephone again in 2011. However now? I’m unsure what I’d do with out one. With that mentioned, I’m positive we might all profit from carving out extra strict, no-screen time with our households. As a result of our kids are watching and taking cues from us. They usually’re greater than price it.
Click on right here for more information on wholesome display screen time for kids.
Pictures by iStock, Thinkstock