When my son was born I bear in mind taking a look at him in awe. Each inch of him was excellent. I remarked to the nurse that you could possibly virtually see the define of teeth on his gums. “I’ve truly seen infants born with teeth,” he informed me.
I flashed again to earlier the day prior to this when my son went instantly from my womb to my chest to breastfeed, and shuddered. Then I thanked my fortunate stars he had no teeth but. Little did I do know I wouldn’t be capable of say that for much longer.
My son’s first tooth made its presence identified when he was three months outdated. At first I had no concept why my (considerably) glad baby was wailing uncontrollably. Okay, I could also be romanticizing these first few months. Let’s simply say he wailed much more than normal.
Though everybody informed me there was no means he was teething, I knew in any other case. Name it mom’s instinct, or the truth that his gums have been swollen and the define of two teeth have been poking up from his backside gums. We have been formally teething.
From there it was like a sport of dental whack-a-mole. We’d conquer one pair of teeth and suppose the worst was over, solely to have two extra pop up. My son gave the impression to be in a relentless state of teething. On his first birthday he had sixteen teeth!
We tried a teething necklace. I even thought-about the outdated wives’ resolution of rubbing watered-down liquor on his gums. I dipped a Q-tip in booze then ran it beneath the tap to dilute it, however I by no means went via with utilizing it. “He’s going to get drunk,” I sobbed to my husband as he laughed hysterically.
Over time we perfected the treatments that work, and don’t contain serving alcohol to minors. I surveyed each mom of a kid with teeth and tried all of them. I stored one of the best, tossed the nonsense, and curated this record of teething tips.
1. Washcloth: It’s a standard suggestion as a result of it really works. Dry, moist, room temperature, or chilled, the feel of a washcloth is a heavenly respite to these swollen gums.
2. Spoon: A spoon from the fridge is each arduous and chilly, and doubles as a toy. My son would alternate between chewing on the spoon for ache and utilizing it as a drumstick. A superb instrument of distraction.
three. Teethers: Teethers are your good friend. Your greatest good friend. We love the Dr. Brown’s Nawgum as a result of it really works for all phases of teething. It appears like a cactus, and may attain anyplace in the mouth. It’s additionally dishwasher-safe (prime rack), which suggests I by no means have to fret if it’s tossed from a stroller or right into a ball pit. It’s like combining one of the best components of a number of teethers into only one.
four. Ice/frozen treats: Typically teething infants simply don’t need to eat. Mesh feeders can serve the twin goal of serving to to ease teething ache and offering a snack. My son beloved frozen strawberries, and the mesh ensured he by no means ate any massive items. As he bought older he beloved frozen waffles.
5. Dry the drool and thoughts the bum: This doesn’t assist their teeth, however when kids drool, they generally develop diaper rash, which makes them much more irritated. My son’s drool accelerated to St. Bernard-level in the week or so earlier than a tooth would cut. I at all times maintain him in a bib that I modify usually, and ensure to wipe his face and cheeks regularly. I exploit a balm with every diaper change to stop redness and irritation brought on by these terrible (and awful-smelling) acidic poops.
6. Self-sacrifice: Typically you need to take one for the crew. Rub your (clear) fingers over the gums and beware: they’ll gnaw on you.
7. Blanket/loveys/laundry: As my son grew older he developed an affinity for something cozy that he might cuddle and carry round when he wasn’t feeling nicely, chewing on it when his mouth harm. I stored muslin blankets and burp garments round, and he has even grabbed an article from the laundry in a pinch.
eight. Foot therapeutic massage: My son would immediately loosen up after we rubbed his toes. Some research into reflexology taught us to give attention to the world across the toes for mouth aid.
9. Babywearing: Once more, this received’t ease the tooth ache however your babe will love slightly additional closeness through the tough moments.
10. Teething jewellery (for mother!): My son simply wanted to chew, it didn’t matter what it was. So I swapped out my necklaces and bracelets for protected teething jewellery. He might chomp away safely and never on me.
This submit is sponsored by Dr Brown’s. All opinions are truthful and my personal.
Photographs by Becky Vieira