See that featured picture above? That’s what a typical Christmas in our home seems like. As in extra, extra, extra. As in, mountains of gifts my kids open, play with for just a few hours, then throw in a pile.
After all, we are past fortunate to have the ability to give them Christmases of extra. However this 12 months, I simply don’t need to do the vacation this means.
Possibly it’s as a result of we misplaced a child this 12 months, and I view every part by a special lens. Both means, this 12 months, Christmas is about us collectively as a household, actually being current and feeling grateful for what we’ve got. Not tearing open present after present after which happening with our lives.
So this 12 months, we are giving our kids an expertise as a substitute of gifts. We are taking them to Disney World.
However they nonetheless want one thing to open on Christmas morning; I get that. Thus, the lazy present my husband and I made a decision upon: present cards.
Significantly, present cards. That’s it.
There are so many causes why giving our youngsters gifts cards is sensible:
- They’re travel-friendly. And I’m not scrappy sufficient to determine the best way to sneakily pack a bunch of gifts amongst my packed clothes to tackle the aircraft.
- I don’t really feel like going Christmas procuring. I’m simply not up for it this season. The shops are already crowded and picked over. And previously I’ve spent eternally standing round within the aisles, determining who ought to get what, and deciding whether or not the kids are all getting an equal variety of gifts, and on and on.
- My kids have 1,000,000, gazillion toys already. As said above, severely, sufficient already!
- Present cards enable the kids to select their very own gifts. And take the onus off of me to do it. They get what they need. Executed.
- This season is supposed to be extra about what we have already got. We’ve got one another, and we are so lucky. We don’t have to spend hours opening gifts to depend our blessings.
We’re not depriving them or instructing them some life lesson about frugality by taking them to the Happiest Place on Earth for the vacations, I notice. However that’s not the purpose.
What I am aiming for is a vacation that focuses on household and being collectively as a substitute of mountains of gifts. I need to be in these moments with my kids, on the rides or at a meal or on the lodge pool. I need to hear their giggles, see their delight, really feel their hugs.
Opening gifts shall be there at any time when. However this time when the kids are little and we will be collectively as a household, and so they need to be with us, is fleeting. And I plan to treasure it, slightly than spend my time standing in retailer traces, and wrapping a zillion gifts, then sitting round for hours opening gifts on Christmas morning.
Apart from, my kids suppose present cards are credit score cards, and really feel like grown ups handing a retailer cashier their very own types of cost. So all people wins!
Photos by Melissa Willets