I was driving by means of a neighborhood strip mall yesterday and observed not one, however TWO, new “lash bars.” They’re the factor in my neck of the woods, and for good motive as a result of the outcomes actually are gorgeous. So a lot of my mother pals have began turning as much as playdates with probably the most lovely lashes. They’re lengthy, thick and fairly pure trying.
I can spot these mothers right away as a result of I was one among them.
I rode the very early wave of this pattern nearly two years in the past. On the time, there have been just a few technicians in my city that did eyelash extensions. In case you haven’t heard of lash extensions, they’re particular person lashes which might be individually glued to your personal lashes to create a personalized, full set. When performed proper, they’re attractive. I was instantly enamored after my sister received them, and jumped on the bandwagon. I can’t lie, I beloved they approach they seemed. I beloved the way in which they made me really feel. They had been an immediate eye-brightener and I by no means even needed to put on eye make-up. Sounds excellent, proper?
Besides all of the lash love got here at a worth. I rode the wave for about six months, then finally determined I needed to give it up. Right here’s why:
1. Time. I needed to go in each 2-Three weeks for “fills”. Every session was round an hour. That alone was nearly a deal breaker for me, as a result of no mother has that form of “free time.” However the hardest half was that my technician was so booked, my one-hour classes had been by no means at a handy time. I knew it wasn’t for me when I discovered myself trying to find a babysitter at 9 a.m. on a Tuesday, as a result of it was the one time she may get me in.
2. Cash. Holy smokes are this stuff costly. I had a coupon for my first session, so the overall for the complete set was round $180. However every subsequent “fill” was one other $80 by the point I included a tip. Ouch.
Three. Consolation. When I researched extensions, the precise technique of making use of them was described like this:
“Actually — it’s pleasant. You lie down in a mattress and shut your eyes for an hour and a half whereas calming music performs within the background and a technician attaches little feathery nothings to your lashes. It’s probably the most socially acceptable naptime a working grownup may ask for”
Huh? For me, my again damage as a result of I needed to be tremendous nonetheless, and there was a lot of tugging and stress round my eyes. Additionally my eyes watered. It was not naptime.
four. Merchandise. In fact there are whole traces of merchandise made particularly for these lashes. You may’t use common eye make-up remover as a result of it’s too harsh. So that you want the $40 bottle of “extension-friendly” remover to take away any eye make-up you put on. There’s additionally loads of eye lotions and even eye make-up specifically formulated for these lashes that each one technicians suggest.
5. Showering and swimming. For some motive, each of those wreaked havoc on my lashes. Actually, getting them moist in any respect was problematic — I observed far more fallout after they received moist. This isn’t the way in which it’s purported to be, however I observed it constantly. Since I swim loads in the summertime and, properly, everybody must bathe, this was a bummer.
6. Sleeping. I am, apparently, a “aspect face” sleeper. That means I sleep on my aspect and nuzzle my face right into a pillow. That is horrible for the lashes, and my technician actually suggested me to attempt to sleep on my again. I tried so arduous. However my mind was not listening to my lashes. I assume extensions are greatest for gals who can hold their face out of the pillow.
7. Wait? The place are my REAL lashes? And the ultimate motive, I’ll by no means do them again? When I had lastly had sufficient and determined to not hold sustaining the lashes (i.e., I allow them to fall out) I realized my pure lashes had been, like, gone. They had been thinner, shorter and simply all-around nearly invisible. It has taken me nearly 18 months for them to develop again, and so they’re nonetheless not as thick as they as soon as had been. Boo.
Have you ever tried lash extensions? What did you assume?
(Picture 1 from Lina Smith through Flickr Inventive Commons)
(Picture 2 from hannahbananalangy through Flickr Inventive Commons)