Breastfeeding mothers experiencing issues with their milk provide will strive something in hopes of giving it a boost. Particular teas, herbs or lactation cookies are one factor — however what about this Starbucks’ drink mothers are raving about?
It’s referred to as the Pink Drink, and, apparently, it tastes quite a bit like pink Starburst sweet. This candy, iced concoction is produced from a mixture of Starbucks’ Strawberry Acai Refresher and a splash of coconut milk.
However does it work?
One mom — who shared a photograph of her milk-soaked shirt on the Milky Mamas Breastfeeding Assist Fb web page — claims the Pink Drink has elevated her provide so drastically that she’s anxious she’ll run out of freezer house to retailer milk. Others declare the drink has doubled their provide, or extra. Others haven’t seen a change in any respect.
BabyCenter blogger, Becky Vieira — who simply so occurs to be lactating — determined to provide Starbucks’ Pink Drink a whirl to see if it lived as much as the hype. Right here’s what she needed to say:
“It tastes like a bucket of milky sugar.”
(Professional tip: Should you’re not a fan of the sweetness, strive asking for the drink minus the strawberry and/or request it well-shaken.)
Though Becky clearly wasn’t loopy concerning the style, she stated she did discover a distinction in her milk provide that night.
“So. Name me loopy, however by the tip of the day my boobs are often like flesh pancakes. Drained. However tonight they’re full. Not granite boulder, if I don’t pump I’ll explode-full, however I’ve a powerful provide for it being finish of day,” she stated. “And I did an Instagram story on the drink and a number of other folks wrote to say they’ve had success additionally. I could do that once more!”
What’s so magical about this Pink Drink anyway? I made a decision to ask Julie Hawksley, a board licensed lactation marketing consultant, to get some solutions.
“Whereas among the elements reminiscent of strawberries and coconut milk have dietary advantages, it’s unknown whether or not any of the elements on this drink contribute to elevated milk provide,” Hawksley advised BabyCenter. “It’s actually vital for breastfeeding mothers to remain effectively hydrated to help milk manufacturing. Additionally, treating herself to a scrumptious drink on the espresso store may brighten her temper, which may additionally stimulate the let-down of her milk.”
Hawksley additionally supplied basic ideas for growing milk provide:
• Breastfeed extra typically. Reply to early feeding cues — turning head aspect to aspect, opening and shutting mouth, licking lips, sucking on fingers and fingers.
• Supply each breasts at each feeding. Ensure child is actively sucking and swallowing. Permit child to complete on one aspect, then supply the opposite.
• Keep away from pacifiers and bottles if doable, till breastfeeding and the milk provide are well-established.
• Pumping could assist, particularly if your child could be very sleepy at breast, or if breastfeeding is painful.
• Get relaxation. Restrict guests if essential. Let chores go, settle for assist from household and pals.
• Eat a wholesome, balanced weight loss program. Meals that will assist enhance milk provide embody barley, brown rice, millet, oats, almonds, sesame seeds, beets, carrots, darkish leafy greens, malunggay leaves, apricots, dates, figs, inexperienced papaya (cooked), coconut oil, flaxseed oil, and brewers dietary yeast.
• Drink to thirst to remain well-hydrated. She recommends selecting drinks with decrease sugar content material.
• Think about galactogogues, which needs to be used beneath the steerage of a healthcare supplier to assessment maternal danger components, assess for antagonistic results on the mom or child and to watch their progress.
“Should you’re nonetheless anxious, it’s greatest to fulfill with a lactation marketing consultant who can monitor your child’s weight acquire, help with positioning and latch, and supply a complete feeding plan to make sure that your child will get loads of milk,” Hawksley stated.
The underside line: Should you can deal with the sugar rush, testing out the Pink Drink’s supposed supply-boosting powers couldn’t harm. The scientific proof isn’t there. But when the worst that might occur is you spend 5 bucks on a tasty drink and your milk is unaffected, then I say go for it! As all the time, be sure you examine in with a lactation marketing consultant for help with breastfeeding issues.
Pictures by Starbucks, Becky Vieira, iStock